Sunday, April 14, 2013

We make Portland awesome: Nadelwerk

"We make Portland awesome" is a weekly series. I’m interested building our community of artists by helping us all find out more about each other.
This week: Karin of Nadelwerk
Who are you?
My name is Karin Kaufmann and I was born and raised in Munich, Germany, which is north of the Bavarian Alps. Ten years ago I met my dear husband in Dublin; we moved to England, and then eventually to Oregon.

What do you make?
I create decorative pins, pincushions, bookmarks, and felted items with both wet and needle felting.
I create crocheted and knitted items such as shawls and scarves. In the last four months, I've begun to work with fiber and have learned to spin my own yarn. For many of my creations, I use repurposed and vintage materials.


Besides making things, what do you do?
I love to meet with friends for coffee, or to share a meal, but most importantly, for good conversation.

What inspires you?
Dreams and Nature inspire me, but I also draw inspiration from my husband, my friends, and my international customers. The whole world can be an inspiration -- we just need to walk around with our eyes open.

  
Where can your work be found?
My work can be found in Etsy [American market], and DaWanda [European market]. I've been a member of DaWanda since its inception in 2007. Also, I invite my regular customers to my home shop for a more personal shopping experience, and to discuss a custom made order. During the Holiday season, I attend fundraising bazaars and craft fairs. The schedule will be posted on my fb page.

What do you love about Portland?
Portland is so wonderfully weird, let’s keep it that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...