"We make Portland awesome" is a weekly series. I’m interested building our community of artists by helping us all find out more about each other.
This week: Pepe and Ale of MulukWho are you?
We are Ale and Pepe. We are originally from Mexico and we have been living here in Portland, OR, for the past seven years. We decided to travel to continue learning arts.
What do you make?
We make hats. They are like the 20’s style, made from 100% cotton, so comfy and lightweight. Dreamy, asymmetric skirts: modern, romantic, sexy, and very stylish. Wallets, made from 100% pants. Ties, unique, artistic for guys who love and enjoy dressing up. Each creative tie is unique and features funky designs.
Besides making things, what do you do?
We spend most of our time with our two beautiful girls, We love to travel, go camping, check art shows, visit galleries. Also, Pepe has a radio program called FusionArte, where they talk about art and culture.
What inspires you?
Everything… travel, books, students, places, music.
Where can your work be found?
• Grasshopper, Portland, OR
• Tumbleweed, Portland, OR
• Redux, Portland, OR
• Tender Loving Empire, Portland, OR
• Twilight Artist Collective, Seattle, WA
• Little Things, Portland, OR
• Pop-up Shop Crafty Wonderland, Portland, OR
• Stella's on 21st, Portland, OR www.stellason21st.com
• Boston Street Baby Store, Seattle, WA
• Casita, Seattle, WA
• Rain or Shine ~gift shop, Seattle, WA
• Habitude, Seattle, WA
• Urban Indigo, Oakland, CA
• Renaissance, Ashland, OR
• Ruby, San Francisco, CA
• Compass Rose, Olympia, WA
• Tasty or www.shoptastyart.com
What do you love about Portland?
The green color all over the city, the people (so friendly), diversity, the beer, music... that vintage style everywhere.