Sunday, October 28, 2012

We make Portland awesome: Marika Paz

"We make Portland awesome" is a weekly series. I’m interested building our community of artists by helping us all find out more about each other.
This week: Marika Paz

Who are you?
Hello! I am Marika Paz and I am an illustrator and artist. I live in Portland with my husband Patrick and our two cats (Boogie and Sugar Britches) and our pup Biscuit.

What do you make?
I create original art and illustrations as well as archival prints. I also do commission work, such as pet portraits and logos, which I like to put my own little spin on. On a limited basis I also create cards and other small fun things.

 
Besides making things, what do you do?
I feel super lucky because my life is filled with things I love- when I am not illustrating I am out playing with pups! In addition to my illustration and freelance work, my husband and I own a dog walking business called Dog Star Walkers Portland. A friend of mine once said this and it's true- I live the dreams of my five year old self, playing with dogs all day and drawing at night! I also bellydance and play with my furr babies- my pup Biscuit in particular rules my life.

What inspires you?
So many things inspire me from found plants and twigs in the woods to old books. Nature is always influencing my art- our relationship with nature, animals relationship with nature, and the environment around us. I also am always influenced the cute, odd, and curious things in the world.


Where can your work be found?
On my etsy shop at marikapaz.etsy.com I also do lots of art shows around Portland and craft fairs too! If you want to keep track of my coming and goings I update my facebook page regularly(https://www.facebook.com/pages/Marika-Paz-Illustration/270784029631588) – my art blog too: www.thelovebiscuit.com and of course my official webpage at www.marikapaz.com

What do you love about Portland?
I have lived all over the country (up and down California, North Carolina, Massachusetts, Chicago) and in Scotland, and I can safely say that Portland is one of my favorite cities! I moved here a year ago and it has been a fantastic time! I love how creative the city is, its proximity to nature (the coast, forests, and mountains), and of course, its amazing food (yay for food trucks! Where else in the world is there Viking Soul Food?!). And of course the awesome weather- I know some people might not agree, but I just love it!  My husband and I chose very carefully our next move and Portland had everything we were looking for. I am so happy to be here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...