Sunday, February 5, 2012

We make Portland awesome: Bluhour

"We make Portland awesome" is a weekly series. I’m interested building our community of artists by helping us all find out more about each other. 
This week: Brooke Scott of Bluhour

Who are you?
Technically I guess I am a city girl... but I am a beach girl at heart.
I have been making jewelry for as long as I can remember and I'm sure my sweet mom still has a glittery macaroni necklace that I made for her way back when ;-)

I share a studio with my husband Kris [inkfresh.etsy.com] who is a very talented block-print artist! He carves them all by hand and prints them on towels and cards that he sells all over town;-) He has great designs like Bacon 'n Eggs and Bigfoot (soooo Portland!).
 
What do you make?
I like to think that BluHour is "fresh jewelry with old-fashioned charm". I love to play around with unexpected shapes and sizes while making sure that the final designs are still very wearable. I mainly work in sterling silver, 14K yellow and pink gold and vintage brass. I am always looking to incorporate new mediums into the designs and I get big inspiration from strolling through antique shops with Kris. 



Besides making things, what do you do?
When I'm not making jewelry you can find me at my full-time customer service job (haven't made it into my own "quit your day job" Etsy article yet.... hopefully some day!) When I'm not working you might find me shopping at antique stores or shoe shops (my major weakness!) or headed to the Oregon Coast with my hubby and mini Dachshund, Gus.  

What inspires you?
I am most inspired by items with a history. I love holding something that can tell you a story.... Years ago, found a book of poems from 1855 at a thrift shop for $1. I love picking it up and wondering where it has been and who has read it.
As far as jewelry is concerned I am most inspired by 1920's jewelry-- It is so finely crafted and intricate. 


Where can your work be found?
BluHour Jewelry can be found at:
      Knack (Multnomah Village)
      Tender Loving Empire (Downtown PDX)
      Aster and Bee (SE)
      Clay Wood and Cotton (New York)
      and of course Etsy! bluhour.etsy.com

What do you love about Portland? 
I love that Portland is just so crafty! There are so many creative people here.
I also enjoy that Portland is very food-y. So many excellent places to eat and so many hip and wonderful bars.
I am also very serious about coffee. I lived in Seattle for a long time and I appreciate that Portland is super-serious about it too.
I am also slightly obsessed with Pinot Noir and Portland just happens to be close to the best Pinot Noir wineries in the world.
Oh yes, and I can't forget one of my favorite places on earth-- Cannon Beach. I love that it is just a short drive away ;-)
Portland, you really are pretty fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...