Sunday, May 4, 2014

We Make Portland Awesome: Kristen McGillivray

"We make Portland awesome" is a twice-monthly series. I’m interested building our community of artists by helping us all find out more about each other.
This week: Kristen McGillivray

Who are you?
I’m Kristen McGillivray, a freelance designer and blogger and native Oregonian.

What do you make?
I create custom wedding invitations and other event stationary, as well as event favors like temporary tattoos and drink tickets. My shop, Kristen McGillivray, offers both full-service and DIY options. I love playing a part in making someone’s special day (be it a wedding, graduation or baby shower) unforgettable.


Besides making things, what do you do?
I love entertaining and am currently in the midst of a major dining room renovation that will include a built-in liquor cabinet, wine refrigerator and wet bar to house my growing spirit collection. I can’t wait to mix up a tasty cocktail (or two), resume my weekly board game nights and host a killer dinner party in the new space.


What inspires you?
I try to always look on the bright side of things so I like surround myself of positive energy, jubilation and whimsy. I love designers like Jessica Hische, Jonathon Adler and Kate Spade that use bright, cheerful colors, bold patterns and prints, amazing typography and a decent amount of cheekiness in their work. I never want to lose the curiosity that drives us to explore and create.


Where can your work be found?
For the time being my work is available only on Etsy but I am currently developing a new product line of stationary and prints for brick and mortar shops, street fairs and craft shows in and around Portland.


What do you love about Portland?
Everything! I love the climate (give me rain over scorching heat any day), the people, food and cocktail culture, and I truly think Portland has the best food and drink scene out there which I love to explore on a regular bases with friends and my pug Porter.

Make sure you check out Kristen McGillivray's blog, Etsy shop, Instagram, and Pinterest. Thanks for sharing, Kristen!
And if you'd like to read more We Make Portland Awesome interviews, you can check out the full collection HERE.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...