Sunday, January 13, 2013

We make Portland awesome: Totinette

"We make Portland awesome" is a weekly series. I’m interested building our community of artists by helping us all find out more about each other.
This week: Torie of Totinette

Who are you?
Hello! My name is Torie and I make jewelry under the name Totinette.

What do you make?
I make brightly colored jewelry out of metal and wood. I recently got some new tools and have lots of ideas of new designs I want to make this year!


Besides making things, what do you do?
I am the mother of a very vivacious and happy 4 year old girl. We have a great time together playing, crafting, reading, and relaxing for movie nights!

On top of that, my friend Cathy and I have a retail store in downtown Portland called Crafty Wonderland (www.craftywonderland.com) where we sell handmade goods and art by over 170 local artists. We also organize two large craft fairs each year under the same name. It's a lot of work, but so much fun and I'm always so thankful that this is my “job”.

For fun, I love to drink tea, am learning to play the guitar, and I like to look at pretty things (art, jewelry, antiques, etc. both online and in person).

 

What inspires you?
Color and simplicity are probably my biggest inspirations in designing jewelry. I'm inspired by the creativity that surrounds me and the talent and innovation of all the makers I come across. I also love vintage Hollywood glamour, mid-century fashion and design, France, architecture, sailors, and old jazz music.

Where can your work be found?
My jewelry is available at lots of great shops around Portland, including, Crafty Wonderland, Frock, Mabel and Zora, Queen Bee, Redux, Sweet Jayne, and Union Rose. It's also at Yamhill Valley Dry Goods in McMinnville and is on display at Anne Amie Vineyards through February. And I have an etsy shop: totinette.etsy.com

One of my goals for this year is to get into stores in other cities and states! :)

What do you love about Portland?
I love how supportive Portlanders are of small independent businesses. We have such an amazing community of makers: art, crafts, design, bikes, beautiful music, delicious food, etc. The DIY and shop local spirit is very strong and it's exciting to be a part of all of that.
 

I love how when the weather is nice everyone goes outside. It really is beautiful here and people seem to really appreciate their surroundings.
 

My favorite things to do around town are ride the zoo train with my daughter, eat at Por Que No? with friends, walk my dog around different neighborhoods to look at all the cool houses, go to art openings, and catch some live music when I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...