Sunday, June 30, 2013

We Make Portland Awesome: GlassCast

"We make Portland awesome" is a bi-weekly series. I’m interested building our community of artists by helping us all find out more about each other.
This week: Shannon of GlassCast

Who are you?
I am Shannon Feltus. I own and operate GlassCast with my sister Boni Dutch.

What do you make?
I hand craft jewelry mostly using silver and semi precious stones. My sis makes art jewelry and millinery creations for bridal and formal festivities.


Besides making things, what do you do?
Besides my crafting I am massively obsessed with my garden. It's a bit much. My husband lovingly calls it our farm and he isn't far off the mark. I have planted enough quantity and variety of vegetables to begin my own farmers market I think. I also enjoy blogging.

What inspires you?
I am inspired by nature more than anything. I idolize other jewelry artists that can make such sleek yet organic looking things. I continuously hone my craft and try not to attempt too many different things at a time. Creativity can make you scatter brained when it strikes. Especially in the spring when it is bursting with new green lush leaves and ferns and all the things I want to capture in silver and adorn with stones.



Where can your work be found?
It's very exciting for us to have a key piece in Made in Oregon right now. This has been a goal of mine for 3 years and to have it come true is absolutely incredible. A version of our City and State necklace of the silver or copper variety can be found there. We also have our Big Cartel shop where we have a variety of pieces currently.

What do you love about Portland?
My very favorite things about Portland are probably similar to most, the scenery, the people, the falls, the gorge, mountain, beaches ect. But my all time favorite thing if I had to choose one would be Powell's Books downtown. I just feel like if someone new to town came and spend a few hours there, they would just "get" us. I used to sneak off to get a coffee and hide in the nature section swooning at all the books about trees and native plants like a total geek for hours. It was my mecca when I discovered it. Still is. I hope to have stuff in there someday. I would feel pretty legit.  


Make sure you check out GlassCast's website and blog.
Thanks for sharing, Shannon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...