Sunday, August 12, 2012

We make Portland awesome: Nomad Unlimited

"We make Portland awesome" is a weekly series. I’m interested building our community of artists by helping us all find out more about each other.
This week: Jeffrey of Nomad Unlimited
Who are you?
Jeff Amrhein - Leather Artisan

What do you make?
I make a range of nomad-inspired leather crafts, specializing in cases for MacBooks, iPads, iPhones and Kindles.



Besides making things, what do you do?
I am a traveler at heart and I've spent several years wandering about various part of our great planet taking photos, trekking, sampling great food, writing, kayaking, diving and just absorbing as much as possible.

What inspires you?
I am inspired by everything I see. I learned my craft from fellow leather artisans in North Africa and many of their motifs can be found in my work, along with many other influences, mostly from nature.


Where can your work be found?
Most of my work can be found on Etsy. I have a few items featured on the Free People website (and soon to be in their stores) and some pieces locally at Cloth and Canvas on NE Freemont.

What do you love about Portland?
I moved to Portland about a year ago and I am amazed at how much has happened to me in that time, from being asked to participate as a designer in the Power of the Purse charity auction last year (and hopefull again this year,) to getting my own studio in a shared workspace. There is such a creative vibe here that I feed off of. I also love the great food, amazing beer and the general 'anything goes' attitude. For once, I think I've found a place I can see myself staying in for a long while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...