Sunday, August 19, 2012

We make Portland awesome: 11 Stories

"We make Portland awesome" is a weekly series. I’m interested building our community of artists by helping us all find out more about each other.
This week: Erica of 11 Stories
 
Who are you?
I am Erica Maggi. I am an artist and stay-at-home mom. I use the name 11 Stories, because I am totally scattered and it sounds kind of all encompassing.

What do you make?
I make messes and hope they somehow transform into something worthwhile.
Sometimes, I make small drawings of animals, mostly mammals, and sell digital prints of them on Etsy. I’m not overly successful, but I like the idea of generating goodwill. Someday I hope to donate 11% of the sales to the WILD Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to “conservation through building an active relationship between people and Nature around the world.” I took that last bit from their website...Before pledging my support, I did some investigating and support the WILD Foundation’s ideals and believe they allocate donations ethically and responsibly.
I also paint.


Besides making things, what do you do?
I manage a purple house, an overworked husband, 2 small children, a large dog, an affectionate cat, a community garden plot, and piles and piles of laundry. [Erica also has a wonderful blog, about walks in Portland, here.]

What inspires you?
When I notice something fabulous that someone else has made, I absolutely have to try it. At this moment, I have a flat of berries waiting for my first attempt at canning, a knit neck-tie that should be cast-off, papier mâché masks drying in the garage, an unfinished novel that lacks direction… And piles and piles of library books.


Where can your work be found?
My work can be found on Etsy. In November, I will show a collection of paintings at the Academy Theater… I also have messy piles all over my house, but they are currently unavailable to the public.

What do you love about Portland?
I love the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...