Sunday, July 29, 2012

We make Portland awesome: Gone Metal

"We make Portland awesome" is a weekly series. I’m interested building our community of artists by helping us all find out more about each other.
This week: Carla of Gone Metal

Who are you?
My name is Carla. I am an artist, mother and wife. I have spent the majority of my life adopting rescue cats and now I have just one furbaby who keeps me company in my studio while I work.

What do you make?
I design and hand fabricate jewelry (mostly necklaces and earrings), using sterling silver. I was taught traditional metalsmithing techniques but I prefer to make modern designs that sometimes incorporate non-traditional materials to add a touch of color to my jewelry. I focus on using only reclaimed metals in my jewelry and recycled materials for the packaging I send to my customers. Oh, and I make lightweight aluminum big buttons for knitters.


Besides making things, what do you do?
Besides being a jewelry metalsmith, I enjoy walking for exercise. Walking really helps keep my creative thoughts flowing. I garden, raising a lot of our vegetables and cutting flowers – but I’m only out there when it’s warm and sunny! I also regularly travel to Seattle and Eugene to be with my daughters and enjoy the wonderful culture that their cities offer.

What inspires you?
A good shot of espresso. No seriously, I NEED an espresso every morning to kickstart my creativity in the studio! I am also inspired by American Modernist Jewelry, Mid Century Modern furniture and ceramics and fabrics, Art Deco architecture, and contemporary art.


Where can your work be found?
My jewelry can always be found online in my shop. I am taking a break from other venues because we have been house hunting in Portland (to include a better studio space!)

What do you love about Portland?
Camarones and margaritas at "Por Que No?"; rainy days in Powell's, reading and buying books; savouring a good macchiato at Spella; the farmer's markets; the variety of independent shops and restaurants; the city's eco-consciousness and the gorgeous green places to walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...