Sunday, August 4, 2013

We make Portland awesome: Light Fantastic

"We make Portland awesome" is a bi-weekly series. I’m interested building our community of artists by helping us all find out more about each other.
This week: Alysia of Light Fantastic
Photo credit: Xilia Faye Photography

Who are you?
My name is Alysia Dynamik, I am tireless tinkerer and maker of things with a one-woman business that I call Light Fantastic.

What do you make?
I make things that light up! My work mainly falls into the categories of costume pieces and accessories, and I also offer custom wardrobe embellishment. My materials of choice are LEDs in all colors, leather, vinyl, acrylic and resin.

A client's coat that Alysia embellished with Rainbow color-changing LEDs
Photo credit: Xilia Faye Photography

Besides making things, what do you do?
I have to be honest, most of my pursuits revolve around the making of things! In addition to the electronics/sewing/leather/casting work I do for my business, in my free time I love to knit and crochet. I've also dabbled in large-scale paper mache sculpture, as well as aesthetic event design. I have a pink bike that I love to ride around town, and I'm currently teaching myself to play the concertina (it's like a small accordion). My last two day jobs were in the field of enrichment education; most recently, I designed, co-supervised, and taught a 3-day camp & 8-week course in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) focusing on Robotics and the Mars Curiosity rover project. Curriculum that I wrote was implemented by 7 teachers in 4 different elementary schools, via a free program for underserved districts - very rewarding work. 

What inspires you?  
Science fiction! I love all things retrofuturistic, cyberpunk, intergalactic, you name it! Other great sources are mythology, surrealist art, beetles and other insects. I am constantly inspired by all the other artists whose work I am able to appreciate through the magic of the internet, especially those in the areas of millinery and wearable tech. 


Photo credit: Xilia Faye Photography
 
Where can your work be found?
On Etsy, occasionally at craft fairs and sales (which I will be announcing on my website). I recently exhibited at Maker Faire in San Mateo, CA, where I was honored to be awarded an Editor's Choice blue ribbon!

What do you love about Portland?
I love the weather here (seriously!), and the way it seems to make everything grow so effortlessly. Also, there is a particular attention to detail that seems to pervade the entire city - I can walk or bike down nearly any street and find a house with a particularly interesting fence or quirky garden sculpture or delicately arranged group of succulents. I walk five blocks from my home to my art studio in the Cully neighborhood and I swear I see something new and interesting every single day.

Make sure you check out Light Fantastic's Etsy shop and website
Thanks for sharing, Alysia!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...