Sunday, June 17, 2012

We make Portland awesome: Finka Studio

"We make Portland awesome" is a weekly series. I’m interested building our community of artists by helping us all find out more about each other.
This week: Ann-Marie of Finka Studio


Who are you?
I am finka! That means "Finnish girl" in Russian, an early nickname from my husband. I'm half-Finnish, half-Bolivian, born in Canada, and grew up in Malaysia and Indonesia. However, I've lived in Portland for 14 years, so I'm a Portlander, too.

What do you make?
I make design prints. I have a background in Psychology and Communication Design and never thought of myself as an artist, so I feel more comfortable calling them design prints! I opened up my shop to have a place to share and explore my personal work. Essentially, they're large posters of cheerful, colorful mid-century-influenced art and maps, with most of them aimed to live in children's rooms. My love for geography comes from my international background and love of travel and cultures. I have lots of plans up my sleeve for new prints as well, just need to carve out the time to make them.


Besides making things, what do you do?
My day job is being a designer at Roundhouse, a really fun, amazing agency I'm happy to be a part of. I also try to make time everyday to just relax at home with my husband and 2 cats, and travel whenever I can swing it. I was just in Australia this January for a close friend's wedding — I love how a change of scenery gives me the perspective I need to stay grounded.

What inspires you?
I'm very inspired by Scandinavian mid-century design and art. Growing up, Finland was my home base and where I spent all my summers — my love for Marimekko fabrics, Iittala glassware, and Arabia ceramics began at my grandparents' home. I'm such a fan of the illustrators coming out of Finland right now: Sanna Annukka, Sanna Mander, Maija Louekari, Lotta Nieminen, just to name a few... I get to visit Finland about twice a year, and I always make sure to go to Helsinki because the city itself is a big inspiration.


Where can your work be found?
My work can be found at Etsy (finkastudio.etsy.com) and Society6 (society6.com/finka).

What do you love about Portland?
Portland has really grown on me. I love the size, the friendliness of strangers, the sense of pride in the city, and how progressive it is. It's laid back and cozy, and I love how close the ocean, mountains, and forests are to downtown. Everyone says this, but it's true!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...